The navX-Micro circuit board contains sensitive circuitry, and should be handled carefully.
An enclosure is recommended to protect the navX-Micro circuit board from excessive handling, “swarf”, electro-static discharge (ESD) and other elements that could potentially damage the navX-Micro circuitry.
An enclosure for the navX-Micro is available, and designed to support the 16mm mounting grid on a Matrix or Tetrix robotics system as used in FTC robotics. An alternate enclosure version designed by a FRC mentor is also available.
Those who prefer to print the enclosure using their personal 3D printer, enclosure design files (in STL format) is available in the “enclosure” directory of the latest build.
Those who prefer to purchase an injection-molded version of this enclosure can order it the Kauai Labs store.
The enclosure design files include:
- navx-micro.skp: Sketchup 3D Design File for the navX-Micro circuit board
- navx-micro-lid.skp: Sketchup 3D Design File for a lid-style enclosure for the navX-Micro circuit board.
- navx-micro-lid.stl: STL Format File for 3d printing the lid-style enclosure for the navX-Micro circuit board.
- navx-micro-base.skp: Sketchup 3D Design File for a base of the enclosure for the navX-Micro circuit board.
- navx-micro-base.stl: STL Format File for 3d printing the base of the enclosure for the navX-Micro circuit board.
The Sketchup (.skp) files can be edited using Sketchup Make. Then, the files can be exported to a STL format using the Sketchup STL Import/Export extension. Finally, these exported STL format files can be opened and 3d-printed using applications including netfabb.
The Lid Enclosure can be secured to the robot by four screws. This will secure not only the Lid, but will also secure the navX-Micro circuit board.